What is sitting disease you ask? Well, It’s basically the root of a lot of health problems due to sitting on your ass all day. Yep, imagine that! Lets face it, the vast majority of professional folks have a desk job of some sort. This accounts for hours upon hours of being sedentary. Then throw in the fact that you are sitting yet again to drive home, then you get there and watch a little tv, etc. Well, you get the idea! There is a very simple solution, get up and get moving! Every. Chance. You. Get.
I’m not sure if you do, but I love statistics! Here are a few that I found interesting:
- If you keep sitting all day, you’re going to die. Sooner than if you didn’t sit all day. “The analyses indicate that population life expectancy would be two years higher if adults reduced their sitting time by at least three hours per day.” Peter Katzmarzyk
- Along with increasing our risk for obesity, poor back health, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer, sitting makes our butts get bigger. Laurie Morefield
- Just 2 hours of sitting slows down our metabolism by 25-50% and you know what that means. Your lunch? It’s not going anywhere, anytime soon!
- “For people who sit most of the day, their risk of heart attack is about the same as smoking.” Martha Grogan, Cardiologist, Mayo Clinic
- “Sit for a full day and key fat-burning enzymes plummet by 50%.” Dr James Levine
- For every hour that you stand instead of sit, you burn up to 60 more calories 🙂
So, what’s the solution to this sitting epidemic?
- Stand as much as possible. Ask your boss for a standing workstation.
- Set a reminder to stand every 15 minutes.
- Take the stairs whenever possible.
- Do office station workouts 🙂
- Walk to coworkers instead of calling or emailing.
- Ask your boss if you can replace your desk chair with an exercise ball. This is great for your back health, promoting good posture and movement.
- Stretch, every chance you get.
The bottom line is this, interrupt sitting as often as you can!